Leaders Influencing Freedom & Excellence (LIFE) Academy will implement curriculum and instruction that advances a trauma sensitive learning environment, through culturally relevant and holistic pedagogy, student connectedness, and authentic community partnerships.
The Registered Nurse (RN) is a school-based position responsible for providing direct health care services to students. The School Nurse will administer medication and medical treatment prescribed by a physician including but not limited to, catheterization, G-tube feedings, administration of medications, etc. The Registered Nurse contributes to the nursing assessment by collecting, reporting, and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner. The RN will administer the daily COVID response practices as well as play a central role on the LIFE Academy COVID Response Committee. The Nurse reports directly to the Director of Operations and works closely with the Leadership Team.
Anticipated Start Date
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Collaborate with the Dean of Students, the Special Education Coordinator, the School Social Worker/s, and other school staff to maximize the ability of LIFE Academy to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development.
- Communicates with physicians, community agencies, school personnel and parents according to the guidelines from the school system.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and confidential health records of students.
- Participates in IEP meetings when needed. Consults with RN on the Individualized Health Care Plan as needed.
- Administers and documents medication administration accurately and within established time frames.
- Keeps Clinical Lead/Supervisor informed of incidents or issues requiring his/her attention.
Registered Nurse (RN) School Nurse
- Applies and supports policy and procedures of the school system and adheres to state and federal guidelines.
- Assess the plan of care on a continuous basis.
- Provide special care for students with diagnosed medical conditions who have nursing as a related service.
- Provide special care for students during bus transport to and from school.
- Compiles data for monthly reports documenting and explaining nursing activities and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned by the Director of Operations or Head of School.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity
- Ethically, upholds school system values
- Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently
Minimum Educational Level & Experience Required
- 2+ years’ experience in a relevant area for a total education/experience of 2 years.
- Must be a state of Alabama Registered Nurse.
- Prefer pediatric experience, community health and/or critical care experience.
- Background check (reimbursable if hired)
- Requires standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
- Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
- LIFE covers 85% of personal healthcare benefits
- Employees are automatically enrolled into the Alabama Retirement System
- LIFE matches 100% of individual retirement contributions
- At least one early release day monthly
- Joyful and Fair Work Environment